Gone Fishin'


My entire family spent the weekend at my Mother's lake house in celebration of her 70th birthday. We visited, cooked, sledded, skied, and ice fished--this was probably the highlight of the weekend for my girls because they had never ice fished before.

Red Dirt Mother recently asked about what wakes you up at this time of year. I have to say that this time of year is when I feel most invigorated and alive. We spent most of the day outside. I find it interesting that my children actually spend more time outdoors and in the woods during the winter than in the summer...must be why we live in Vermont!



The big question I'm sure you all have is DID WE CATCH ANYTHING? Yes. Four fish--all too small to keep. My camera did not like the cold, so I couldn't keep it out with me all day. It was so bright on the lake that these photos are very washed out and my zoom lens...er...froze.





The biggest surprise of the weekend for me was to discover that my Mother knew and read my blog--so I had unknowingly spoiled the birthday surprise by mentioning it in my recent "5 Favorites" post. Oops. And, welcome Mom :) Boy did I feel like a turkey.


I've been a bit shy about sharing this blog with people I know in real life. In fact, I think my Mother is the first to know about it....

Tara  – (January 29, 2008 at 8:20 AM)  

Totally off the point here, but I LOVE the basket pictured with your daughter. What a great piece! Sounds like a fun, but chilly, weekend. In winter this family wants nothing more than to curl up with a pile of blankies and wait for Spring to arrive so we can go outside. So why do we live in Ohio?!? :-)

melissa  – (January 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM)  

That looks like so much fun! I wish I lived in a local that had lots of snow. I grew up in Idaho and have so many fond memories of snow piled to the roof on our back porch! Now I live in the New York region where snow is not too common.

dawn klinge  – (January 29, 2008 at 10:24 AM)  

I need to get my own kids outside more. This looks like so much fun. I also get shy about sharing my blog with people I know in real life :)

Henitsirk  – (January 29, 2008 at 11:31 AM)  

I am very jealous of all that snow! We thought this would be a good winter here near NYC, but after a few early snows it's been nada for the last month!

My mom and mother-in-law both read my blog. It's a little nerve-racking at times, but I like that they are learning more about me and my family, since they both live so far away.

Jennifer  – (January 29, 2008 at 12:44 PM)  

Having family read your blog opens it to a wholly different place, I've found. My blog began so that family and friends could keep up with us... and for awhile I had a separate, "secret" blog for all the personal stuff. But now I am just traversing the line between sharing all of me, and being aware of my readers...
Glad you like to be outside - I find we like winter better too!

Sue  – (January 29, 2008 at 10:14 PM)  

Beautiful photos! It looks like it was a wonderful day.

Anonymous –   – (February 2, 2008 at 12:35 PM)  

Where are our winters gone to? I guess they are in your hills. I'd love to do some of the activities you discribed, but then there has to be snow! And in Belgium, snow is rare: if it stays white during one day, then it's party time.
My favourite activity in the snow (in my younger days when there was still snow): snowball-fight!!!
Enjoy!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP