All Sorts of Revelry--Updated

I forgot to include the third Advent verse. It's at the bottom now.


The third weekend in Advent has been very busy for us. Yesterday we took N out for a birthday lunch while we avoided the painting crew who were here madly finishing all the walls. We also cut our tree at a little tree farm down the road from us. All trees are $25, paid by honor system.

Today we woke early to an excited E who couldn't wait to decorate. She got all rigged up in her elf costume. Note the elf clogs H made her!














H helped with the lights this year. I've been demoted (phew).


It was fun to rediscover all our favorite ornaments. We've struggled for years over what to put on the top of the tree. Last year, I found the perfect "tree topper" for our family. This owl watches over all, surrounded by pine cones and other little glass wild animals. It's clear from this photo that I need to rearrange up there just a tiny bit....I didn't take lots of christmas tree photos, because now that I've seen Grace's tree photos, I am not worthy :)


We had lost a box of Christmas decorations--it had the table linens, the jingle bells for the door, and a lot of our Scandinavian ornaments--including the dear tomtens which I knit the girls years ago. E was so happy when I finally unearthed it in the attic.


To cap off our very full weekend, we went to the Christmas Revels. The theme this year was Scandinavian. They told midwinter stories from the Kalevala where the world was sung into being, complete with puppetry, dancing and music. H was thrilled because she knew all the stories from 4th grade. Our girls are in love with Sattuma, a Karelian folk band of two Dads and their children which they had heard a few years ago when they visited from Russia. Here H and N stand with one of the musicians at the end of the show.


We came home from Revels, through the big snowstorm, gathered at our dining table to light our three candles and sang:

Light the Advent candle three
Think of heavenly harmony
Angels singing "Peace on Earth"
At the Blessed Saviour's Birth.

Candle, candle burning bright,
Shining in the cold winter night.
Candle, candle burning bright
Fill our hearts with Christmas light.

Anonymous –   – (December 17, 2007 at 7:52 AM)  

We also decorated the tree this weekend. And her also much excitment to rediscover the decoration!
afterwards we had some delicious "smoutebollen" and hot chocolat.

The gnomes you knitted for the girls are gorgeous !
( I'm making a little one for my daughter this year, but stttt she doesn't know)
I made one for the boys last year, I really like gnomes. I love them in every style, knited, sewed, felted, wood,.......

Henitsirk  – (December 17, 2007 at 7:25 PM)  

I would love to see the Christmas Revels...maybe when my kids get a bit bigger. I like your owl too!

Anonymous –   – (December 18, 2007 at 9:41 PM)  

Thankyou for the next verse!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP