Knitting for the World and our Families

Each year, N and I have a little struggle over the STUFF at Christmas. In the past, rather than buying lots of stuff, we've given to charities in our families' names. Somehow when it comes time to open the cards, these gifts have fallen a little flat. It has felt only slightly better than giving gift cards. How to cut down on the STUFF and give a gift that is personal and charitable all at the same time?

We have decided to buy a knitting basket from Heifer International in our families' names. Accompanied by this gift will be something knitted for everyone. In addition, we are going to take the kids to Overlook Farm so they can learn a bit for themselves why we are trying this.

This is a big commitment for each of the four of us. It's time to pull out the stash, find the patterns, and come up with a manageable plan so we can knit just the right thing for everybody. It means setting aside time in the evenings to just knit.

I've started my first project -- this Irish Hiking Scarf for my father.

The four of us have a cherished tradition of making each other a special gift which we open on Christmas Eve. We realize we need to get knitting now so we have time for all our other Santa's Workshop activities!

I'm looking forward to our project. I think it will make our giving more meaningful than ever.

Jennifer  – (November 4, 2007 at 4:57 PM)  

Thank you for your blog! I've been lurking for a few months now, and just have to say how much I appreciate all the ideas and inspiration I find here. My family also does homemade gifts on Christmas morning... this year I'm a bit stumped, so I'm looking forward to seeing all that you and your family create! And considering a knitting basket of our own (though as the families only knitter, in still all too warm Texas, making something for everyone might be a challenge!).
Cheers!

Jennifer  – (November 6, 2007 at 1:12 PM)  

sarah - thanks for leaving a comment on thefairymum... she likes comments too! I'm always surprised to find out that blogs I consider "Huge" are just as interested in comments as my wee blog... we've struggled a long time with how to do gifts from children that are worth making and giving, rather than just busy work or indistinguishable from, well, junk. This year I'm having them make felt gift tags, and using illustrations to make little book gifts. Your's are finally old enough to make real things! Looking forward to all you do!
Cheers!

Sue  – (November 6, 2007 at 7:47 PM)  

This is a truly great idea! I really like how you all are knitting a little something for each of your loved ones to go with the "Knitting Basket". A very special gift, indeed.

Anonymous –   – (November 8, 2007 at 1:34 PM)  

What a gorgeous pattern you are making for your father's scarf. I came here from Dawn's Loveliness of Handmade Gifts and I will be back to visit later to check out your blog in more detail.

I am not a knitter but I do crochet and love working with hook and yarn.

Blessings,
Theresa

Anonymous –   – (November 8, 2007 at 5:39 PM)  

That's a beautiful scarf, Sarah. And a wonderful gift! I had heard of Heifer a while back but didn't really look closely. Thanks for this post!

Anonymous –   – (November 19, 2007 at 8:39 AM)  

Hi Sarah,

I love your blog. What is the pattern that you are using to make the scarf for your Dad ? It looks very masculine and outdoorsey and I'm sure he'll love it.

Blessings,

Mary L

Maymomvt  – (November 19, 2007 at 9:49 AM)  

Mary--sorry I can't reply directly as Blogger is awkward that way. The scarf pattern is in the sidebar of the blog--"Irish Hiking Scarf" knit-a-long.

Suzanne  – (December 14, 2007 at 5:59 PM)  

What a beautiful tradition. I didn't know the Heifer farm sold these baskets, Overlook is close by will have to take a peek, thanks:-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP