Breezy Days



It's Monday, the beginning of what will be a great week as it ends with lots of solstice celebrations. Summertime is such a breezy, loose time and yet my children still need me to be present for them and to establish some sort of predictable rhythm for their days. It's an interesting mix of being airy, yet grounded.

Over the years, I've learned that they are happiest when I am up and about cooking, doing housework, gardening, etc. They will either join in my work or head off to do their own thing. There's a distinct "hum" of busyness. When I sit down to read or be on the computer, things begin to fall apart. So, in the summer when I'm with them more, I find it takes some inner work on my part to be present for them--not always playing with them or entertaining them, but being actively in the home (rather than my yummy books, blog, or work!).

I also find that some predictablity in how the days go is helpful. Right now, our days work as such--I do my job until 10:00 a.m. and then for about an hour in the afternoon--that gets me 20 hours. They are to get themselves up, brush their teeth, make some breakfast, and find something quiet to do each morning. Later in the afternoon, we'll read out loud (I've got quite a list of books I want to read to them this summer) or play a game, then practice violin before visiting and dinner. This rhythm allows for a lot of expansive, fun, outdoor time with quiet times at the beginning and end of the day. *Of course* it doesn't always work. In fact, this week with some fun solstice activities planned and some very late nights ahead of us, things will change.

--the photo above was taken out our bedroom window. There was a balloon festival this weekend.

Sue  – (June 18, 2007 at 11:44 PM)  

I really enjoyed this post, as it echoes so much of what I have been reflecting upon as we finish up our formal lessons and transition into our summer rhythm. Like your children, mine really resent when I am "absent" from them (lost in a book or on the computer!). From my experience being fully "present" with my children is as important to their health as good nutrition and sleep. But it's not easy!

Your summer rhythm sounds like a good balance.

Great photo!!!! How fortunate to have such a spectacular view!

~Sue in MA

Sue  – (June 19, 2007 at 10:30 AM)  

Do you plan on posting your summer read aloud booklist? I would love to see it.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP