Christmas Gifts for Me (and the birds)

I get to sit at my desk and look out at the birds while I work. Nels made me this birdfeeder for Christmas.


Lou made me this one which is very easy for kids to make. It is made from a sapling with 1 1/2" holes drilled in for the suet and then little holes for the dowels. She managed the drill, pounded in the dowels, screwed in the eye-hook, made the peanut butter/birdseed mix, and filled it up. Younger children could create these if they were given the log with the holes pre-drilled.

So far today I've seen chickadees, tufted titmouse, hairy woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers, juncos, and nuthatches all enjoying some treats.

Anonymous –   – (January 13, 2009 at 1:18 PM)  

Enjoy the view. The sapling birdhouse is wonderful. I imagine a lot of people will want to make this one.

dawn klinge  – (January 13, 2009 at 1:51 PM)  

Lou's bird feeder turned out great! I love to watch the birds outside our dining room window. We don't get woodpeckers though.

Anonymous –   – (January 13, 2009 at 2:22 PM)  

Great idea! So simple and lovely! I am going to make this feeder with my boys!

sarah  – (January 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM)  

Very impressive. Your girls are so handy.

Tammy  – (January 13, 2009 at 3:21 PM)  

I love watching the birds, but especially in the winter. What lovely gifts the birdfeeders are!

Anonymous –   – (January 13, 2009 at 4:36 PM)  

I love watching the birds. We also have a birdfeeder in front of our kitchen window. the boys and papa made it last fall. And since many years we have a cold AND snowy winter, so the birdfeeder is already well used.

http://mama-ilse.typepad.com/mamailse/2008/10/stokkenproject.html

http://mama-ilse.typepad.com/mamailse/2008/10/de-onthulling.html

http://mama-ilse.typepad.com/mamailse/2009/01/sneeuwvlokjes.html

denise  – (January 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM)  

Sweet! I love those birdfeeders. We feed birds too, and watching them daily makes us feel more connected, even in a neighborhood. Very cool!

kristin  – (January 13, 2009 at 11:24 PM)  

another great project idea for my preschoolers...as always, thanks for the inspiration :)

Linda  – (January 14, 2009 at 5:35 AM)  

I am so impressed, your birdfeeder is beautiful!

Anonymous –   – (January 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM)  

Have you seen any rosy-cheeked skinny dippers yet?

Lisa Anne  – (January 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM)  

Nels made a beautiful bird feeder! And Lou's is really clever. I am going to look up how to make your own suet. I keep thinking we need to put up bird feeders behind our house so we can watch the birds each morning. You have inspired me again! I too received beautiful handmade presents Jerome mad me a basket and Amelia knit me the Tasha Tudor Shawl.

RunninL8  – (January 14, 2009 at 11:40 AM)  

Yikes! Thanks for the reminder to feed our own flighted friends! Poor things have braved 2 weeks of sub zero winter and are now dealing with 41 degrees and extreme wind!!
I LOVE the second bird hanger! We'll definatly make that a project for the next week or so!

Anonymous –   – (January 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM)  

What wonderful gifts for you and the birds! I miss seeing songbirds -- seems like all I see these days are crows and starlings, though on the way to school this morning we did see a hawk perched on a tree, searching for his breakfast in a snowy field.

Anonymous –   – (January 22, 2009 at 4:39 PM)  

beautiful feeders! :^)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP