Wooly Acorn Ornaments

Our school's big Winter Fair is on Saturday. Hels and I prepared an ornament craft for one of the gift-making rooms. We began by soaking 400 acorn caps and drilling holes in each one with an awl (soaking keeps them from cracking apart).


We then sprayed them all with a satin-finish because they were looking quite tired and dried out.


Helen then wrote up this set of directions to go in the room so the kids could basically do the craft themselves. We will lay out white fleece, colored fleece (red, white, green, and blue), bowls of warm soapy water, a variety of colored string, tacky glue, and the acorn caps. Here's how to make them:








I hope the kids have fun. If any readers are coming to the Winter Fair, I'll be in the cafe all day. Stop by and introduce yourself!

Linda  – (December 2, 2008 at 9:28 AM)  

Oh gee, this is so lovely, thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Darling  – (December 2, 2008 at 9:57 AM)  

Wish I could go the fair. What a cute idea! We dont have acorns where I live. :(

Jennifer  – (December 2, 2008 at 10:19 AM)  

Alas, CA is too far for the fair, but it sounds wonderful! We had a Waldorf friend in TX, and for our homeschooling potlucks we'd always get a special craft like this from her... I suppose I must check and see if there is a school nearby - I'd love the kids to have the lovely experience!
Great job to your daughter - the kids will have such fun!

dawn klinge  – (December 2, 2008 at 11:10 AM)  

I think the kids will have so much fun making those acorns. I've been meaning to tell you that my cat "adopted" the wooly acorns you sent to my house. No matter where I put them, she finds them and carries them around the house and bats them around. ;)

sarah  – (December 2, 2008 at 2:50 PM)  

So sweet. You worked hard on it - this love and care and effort always comes through at Waldorf craft stalls, I think, and makes the items so much more beautiful and precious.

Lisa Anne  – (December 3, 2008 at 7:28 AM)  

This is sweet and simple, I am sure this will go over well. I always loved our winter fair at our school, I traveled too several other schools for their fairs as well when I was making and selling dolls. They are all so special. I wish I could come up and meet you all.

Anonymous –   – (December 4, 2008 at 11:23 PM)  

What a sweet craft, and very nice directions, too.

* *  – (December 9, 2008 at 8:21 AM)  

I was so excited about going to the fair this year, and sadly I was not able to go! I would have enjoyed meeting you! : ) What a sweet craft, I love the hand written directions! Is the Advent walk open to the public??

Sarah  – (December 9, 2008 at 8:42 AM)  

Hi Nicole--I don't have your email, thus an answer in the comments. The Winter Fair was gorgeous although I didn't really get out of the cafe to see much, thus no post about it!

The advent spiral is not open to the public. Sorry!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP