On the Edge of the Sea

Even though the sun is shining more strongly and the roof beginning to melt, there is still 2 feet of snow in our yard. Last weekend we escaped to Maine with friends.


We began our visit at the beach which was gloriously bright and windy.

The surf was spectacular.

The girls found lots of sand dollars. They are such treasures to me.


After the beach and a lunch of hot chowder and lobster stew, we moved on to our most favorite shop in Maine--Halcyon Yarn.
We had so much fun! After awhile the guys quietly disappeared up the street for a coffee.

Liz choose the makings for this Spring Simplicity scarf.

I decided to try the Alpine Topper.

Helen purchased the makings for a felted camera bag of her own design. My friend chose a sweater pattern for her shivering dog.

We finally met the guys at the coffee shop and soon yarn was draped everywhere as we began winding it into balls. The guys helped. You gotta love yarn-friendly husbands. We met some knitters who invited us to join their knitting group at the library. Maribeth--if you're reading this, you might recognize a friend in this photo...

That night we played Shanghai Rummy for hours. We all madly knit in between hands. Liz beat us all.

Sunday we awoke to a beautiful sunrise, a bit of Bach, and more knitting. It was a quiet morning.
I sat with my journal and Rachel Carson's The Edge of the Sea. She has such wise things to say about this earth of ours.

I even had tea delivered to me by the edge of the sea. How great is that?

It was hard to say goodbye.
Thank you dear friends for sharing this special place with us.






Linda  – (March 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM)  

A beautiful post... thank you...

Lovely World  – (March 17, 2011 at 2:37 PM)  

Ha! I see Cynthia and I believe that is Daniel making quick work of that hank of yarn. Lucky you to get away to such a special place. Thanks for your kind comment about my calendar. It has become a quiet little project. I have never set out to do anything for a whole year (well, actually stuck with something for a whole year anyway!) Be well. Maribeth

The Provincial Homemaker  – (March 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM)  

What a glorious part of the coast. Tea and yarn - what a brilliant combination. Sounds like a lovely time away.

Susan  – (March 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM)  

Oh how lovely! I feel like I was there with you, your photo story is so wonderful. (Ah, Halcyon!)
The sea is always the best place to be, no matter what time of year, isn't it? I love Rachel Carson, too--and sand dollars.

Tammy  – (March 17, 2011 at 8:03 PM)  

Oh gosh, what a nice getaway you all had. It looks like it was so relaxing. I love that you even had your tea delivered to you. ;)

Dawn  – (March 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM)  

Oh, that sounds like such a wonderful weekend getaway! I enjoyed reading about it and seeing your photos.

Suse  – (March 22, 2011 at 4:29 AM)  

Oh my goodness that sand dollar thing is amazing! Is it a fossil of some sort?

What a lovely weekend you had. They're restorative aren't they, those kinds of retreats?

denise  – (March 22, 2011 at 5:21 PM)  

what a beautiful place to visit! and a totally awesome yarn store!!! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP