Technology Cleanse

The girls had winter break this week. I took them to my parents' lake house for a little "technology cleanse." Slowly, but surely, technology has been creeping into this Waldorf house. I felt the need to just get away from it all for a few days and think about it. So, for 3 days--no ipods, ipad, computer, email, facebook, blogs, tunes. Just... snow, ice, chocolate, books, and the full moon.

There is a lot of snow up there!

Baking and Cooking.

Off across the lake for a visit to the island.

Out on the island.

Late afternoon snowshoe.

Now we are home, surrounded by flowers and strawberries, celebrating Lou's 12th birthday.
Happy birthday sweet girl.

And...time for a talk about how to bring the balance back into our lives. If my attention span and ability to read an entire book could improve over three days, then I'm sure it did for the girls as well. hmm.

ellen  – (February 18, 2011 at 8:01 PM)  

Oh, what a beautiful place. It looks and sounds as if all had a wonderful time. Special for all.
What are you reading?

sarah  – (February 18, 2011 at 11:00 PM)  

Such a lovely retreat! And a really good idea. It's hard, isn't it, to maintain a Waldorf lifestyle as your children grow older.

Susan  – (February 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM)  

I wish I could take my family away for a technology break! Snow, ice, chocolate, books, and the full moon sound perfect to me :-)

Sarah, you are right to be concerned. There is tons of solid research proving that our brains (and bodies) are negatively affected by t.v., computers, cell phones, etc. I especially liked Jane Healy's book, _Endangered Minds: Why Children Don't Think and What We Can Do About It_. She has another book called, _Failure To Connect: How Computers Affect Our Children's Minds and What We Can Do About It_. I have really been thinking about how technology has affected my family this winter. It is especially concerning to me because I have both teens and a little one sharing the same house.

Tammy  – (February 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM)  

A technology break sounds really nice actually...especially from the computer, lol!

Looks like you all had a really relaxing time reconnecting. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP