A Lemony Candlemas Day

The girls were home from school yesterday so we had the chance to relax, enjoy a good snowstorm, and do some crafting. Candlemas day always lends itself well to candlemaking.

We melted down our can of beeswax, using some old candle stubs and a pot which I have set aside for candlemaking.

I had bought some lemons, thinking they would make fun candles to remind us of the coming sunshine, but had forgotten candle wicking. Amazingly enough, I found some in the cellar. We are officially out of it now. I dipped the wicks in wax first, then tied them to skewers over the lemons.

While the candles cooled, we tended to the storm.
This photo is only halfway through the storm.
We're more than halfway through our wood--something to check on Candlemas Day.

I made a pie as a way to use the juice from the lemons, so added a quiche to the baking schedule as a way to use the extra pie crust.
Here is our Candlemas dinner.

It was a really good pie!
I rarely make lemon pie.


Every day now, the sunshine will be brighter and longer.
Soon there will be yellow daffodils growing where these little lemons are lit.

Lovely World  – (February 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM)  

You are so optimistic about those daffodils! We feel so buried in snow and cold here. But, from what I understand, the groundhog did not see his shadow. Winter will end sooner than if he had!

Tammy  – (February 3, 2011 at 10:14 AM)  

We made candles like these a few years back, but we used oranges instead. Oh, they smelled soooo yummy as they burned. How nice your girls were able to be home for the day to celebrate Candlemas. :)

Dawn  – (February 3, 2011 at 3:05 PM)  

I've always wanted to make lemon candles like that. They're so cute! I forgot about Candlemas this year. Maybe we can celebrate this weekend.

The Provincial Homemaker  – (February 3, 2011 at 4:52 PM)  

Sounds like a lovely day. I can just smell the lemony candles from here.

Dawn  – (February 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM)  

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts. I don't even know you and I love your family. You inspire me to do more with my family, be simple, and enjoy. Thanks.

kristin  – (February 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM)  

thank you sarah. i feel warm and goosebumpy at the same time (with a little bit of a pucker in my mouth!) i love the lemon candles and try to imagine the warm smell...lemony with a hint of honey? i've not yet come up with a special way to recognize candlemas in my preschool but can always count on you for beautiful ideas. i can almost envision those daffodils!!

Susan  – (February 11, 2011 at 8:47 AM)  

This post truly brightened my spirits! I *love* your lemon candles...and that pie, mmmmmmm. With all of the snow we have piled up outside, I'm going to hang on to this thought: "Soon there will be yellow daffodils growing where these little lemons are lit."

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP