Keeping Christmas

I love these final quiet days of Christmas. The time between New Years and Twelfth Night is when I really dig into holy night thoughts and consciously try to "keep Christmas" for my family. After all the celebrations, all the visiting and all the presents, these days can be the most special of all if we can let the moments in.

While the rest of us wrote thank you notes and puttered about, Helen had school yesterday. This was new for our family. Last night we listened to a quiet Christmas CD and had turkey soup in the living room in front of the fire, by the Christmas Tree. We lit some candles and just enjoyed one of the final nights. Liz is home through Twelfth Night, so she and I will spend time saying Farewell to Christmas today and tomorrow.

Carrie  – (January 4, 2011 at 9:18 AM)  

When I lived in Washington Twelfth Night was the biggest event of the season with a big party. I so often think of those days and wish that we could do the same but kids are back in school and hubby back to work and normalcy has returned way to soon. Thank you for reminding me of those wonderful memories!

J.G.  – (January 5, 2011 at 7:17 AM)  

We always used to do this when I was growing up. I always had to explain to my friends that Christmas doesn't end on the 25th, it's just beginning!

Of course, if the tree goes up on Thanksgiving, it's harder to see it that way.

Anonymous –   – (January 16, 2011 at 5:30 PM)  

I hope her finals did well. Ice and snow have put ours off until next week!

It has been harder keeping to the traditions now that the eldest is in the public school and we keep to a different calendar.. although our Waldorf kids went back on the 4th. I do like those days between Christmas and New Years when we can just BE as a family. Our recent cold weather also allowed us to just BE.. so even though it means a headache in terms of exams and teaching, it was a nice respite that we tried to make the most of!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP