Embracing a new season

The past few weeks have been been so topsy-turvy in our household. The new school year has brought so much change to our house--new morning routines, new driving schedules, new homework routines, new orchestras, a new dinner hour, new chore routines--we are all feeling the impact.

With this comes a changing season. We all love autumn and embrace it. I think we have embraced it more than ever this year. Our family's seasonal rhythm hasn't changed and our weekends have been joyfully spent in all sorts of activities.

We've enjoyed the abundance of our garden....

with Fried Green Tomatoes ...

and putting up jams for the pantry and stewed tomatoes and applesauce for the freezer.

We're back to the weekly baking routine--granola, cookies, and bread.

I have slowly been using up our grains, washing the jars, and replacing with new.
I cleaned out and washed all the autumn hats and gloves--something I never got to last spring.
Seeing as it was 41 out this morning, it was none too soon.

Lou got into the fall organizing spirit and alphabetized my cookbooks.
Can't find a thing now.

We all sat down for several hours of crafting. Crafting together gathers us. It was so needed.

A new autumn centerpiece that the cat won't destroy.

As we sit to dinner each night we hold hands and wait in silence, until we each are truly present.
One small daily rhythm that hasn't changed.
For that, I am grateful.

Tammy  – (September 16, 2010 at 9:40 AM)  

Beautiful post. I love what you do at dinner time, becoming truly present together.

Penny  – (September 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM)  

Truly lovely Sarah. Inspiring. We're feeling at loose ends here too - I need to revisit our rhythm and sink into the comfort it can bring. Thank you for the reminder.

Too funny about the cookbooks :)

Dawn  – (September 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM)  

Oh, my cat would destroy that lovely centerpiece! She loves those little wool acorns. ;) Have I ever told you how much I love seeing photos of your kitchen? I do. It looks like a warm and inviting place.

sarah  – (September 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM)  

I love your kitchen windows!! And that little ritual at your dinner table - oh wow, how perfect!

kristin  – (September 16, 2010 at 11:40 PM)  

i love everything about this post sarah. (along with the others) your mealtime ritual moves me. showing that kind of reverence for eachother and the meal is such a treasure. blessings.

Susan  – (September 17, 2010 at 11:03 AM)  

The fall transition is always the biggest one of the year for us, too. I love what you said about how crafting together 'gathers' you--yes! I really like your mealtime ritual of holding hands in silence and waiting to be fully present together, too. To me that is the purpose of "prayer". Your home looks so warm, inviting, and full of productivity. Beautiful post!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte  – (September 18, 2010 at 7:23 PM)  

Such a lovely way to move into thefall. Gathering.

renee ~ heirloom seasons  – (September 20, 2010 at 11:38 PM)  

Oh Sarah, your posts are always so wonderful. The seasonal rhythm too, I have been feeling that so much lately, realizing how well it carries us along, how helpful it is!
Don't you just love jars full of good food in the kitchen!
I am looking forward to visiting your space here as we begin this new season, you share such beauty and inspiration, thank you!

Unknown  – (September 22, 2010 at 11:28 PM)  

Hello Sarah, this is my first time visiting your blog. Your kitchen looks like a very cosy, wonderful place to be with all those delicious jars full of healthy food.

I've been meaning to make some of those little felted acorns now that I have a nice collection. Something we don't find at home.

Mary Beth  – (September 27, 2010 at 9:09 AM)  

I love those felted acorns so much. Maybe this should be the fall we try to make some.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP