Our annual sketching trip in the tropics

I took Helen and a friend on a sketching trip to the Dartmouth greenhouses this week. Dartmouth has a beautiful study collection of tropical plants and orchids which they keep for various classes and studies. It's a free way to get some warm, moist air during our annual February vacation week which always seems to be accompanied by some sort of virus.



I am no artist--drawing actually intimidates me, but I've found that my children settle into their art more deeply when I am working along with them. This was true when they were young and remains true today. My children stretch me in so many ways.


I love the fact that I could take 2 teens who delighted in just drinking in the quiet and the beauty.


sarah  – (February 20, 2010 at 2:35 PM)  

what a lovely trip! I find the same as you - my dd is more willing to focus quietly on an art project if I am doing the same.

Sarah Cornett  – (February 20, 2010 at 9:21 PM)  

It is making me laugh that I, Sarah, will comment next after Sarah, on Sarah's post!

What beautiful pics - I can feel the warm moist air just looking at them! You've inspired me to see if I can find a similar space around here.

Susan  – (February 23, 2010 at 3:26 PM)  

We do this, too! Not the drawing part, but we go to our local garden center's greenhouses during the winter months just to breathe in the rich green smells, and delight in the warm, humid air. The place we go to has a small aviary, which adds to the tropical atmosphere.

I love the idea of bringing along drawing pads and pencils. It looks like a wonderful way to spend an afternoon together.

julie  – (February 24, 2010 at 9:30 AM)  

what a great idea - we have a botanical gardens near us, and I think I will take the children along. I definitely find the children are more willing to focus if i am doing something alongside, with the added bonus, that despite being no artist myself, I do find colouring such a soothing activity - it is become one of our favourite ways to spend a rainy afternoon and we are definitely having a lot of those at the moment.

Tammy  – (March 4, 2010 at 10:55 AM)  

A photo of YOU! What a treat for US!

My oldest daughter loves to sketch plants and flowers. I have a feeling they would get along so, so well. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP