Summer Reading

After going through quite a dry spell of reading not-so-great books, I have recently gotten lost in a delightful set of summer reads--just what I needed for this summer wet spell New England has been having.

Soul Catcher was a pretty intense book about a slave catcher and his journey north to bring back two fugitives. I loved the characters in this book and the story of how they struggled to find the right path in life. I like Civil War fiction and this was a good one.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane is the favorite of my summer reads so far. As a nerdy historian-type, I completely related to the main character (and had read all the Salem witch craft histories that she had read). The author's detailed descriptions of material culture, religion, and the craft of history were great. Plus, it had a pretty exciting plot!

Prayers for Sale is about a friendship between an elderly storyteller and a young girl, both living in a gold mining town high in the mountains. The stories of this special time and place are interwoven with quilting. The combination of history, storytelling, and quilting made it a fun read for me.
We have some summer read alouds going on as well. Lou and I are finally finishing Louisa May Alcott's Jack and Jill (which she has enjoyed). We're about to start Tom Sawyer (which she isn't so sure about). Helen and I have just started Mark Twain's The Prince and the Pauper, which she likes because she's such an Elizabethan England fan.

This is all part of our summer literary tour of New England, which I'll share about another time!

In the meantime, I'm needing some new books. I've got The Forgotten Garden and The Help on my list, but will need some more! Suggestions?

Linda  – (July 5, 2009 at 8:08 AM)  

These books sound just wonderful. The Physick Book of Deliverence Dane seemed to stand out to me, so I think I will give this one a read. Thanks...

Anonymous –   – (July 5, 2009 at 8:28 AM)  

Oh, Yay! I am desperate for book suggestions these days...Just started "The Help" last night. Stayed up a little too late, which is a good sign. :o)

Suse  – (July 5, 2009 at 10:16 AM)  

I have one you might like. Do you know Alison Weir, the historian? She has written her first historical novel. It's called 'Innocent Traitor', and is about the Lady Jane Grey.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through it and enjoying it.

Dawn  – (July 5, 2009 at 10:24 AM)  

Last months book club choice, The Alchemist, was an easy, but enjoyable read. It led to a lot of conversation. A New England read would be The Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant. I loved her book the read town and chose this one because of the strength of that. Maybe stretch back and read some classics too - - - Nathanial Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. Happy reading.

Dawn  – (July 5, 2009 at 10:24 AM)  

oh, yeah - the 19th wife was another one this year. I really enjoyed.

dawn klinge  – (July 5, 2009 at 4:38 PM)  

These sound like some great books. Thanks for the suggestions. My favorite book so far this summer has been The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It takes place during and after WWII.

Sarah  – (July 5, 2009 at 7:22 PM)  

Suse-- I do know Alison Weir. Helen and I read several this winter. Innocent Traitor is on my shelf.

Dawn--thanks for the suggestions. I haven't read Anita Diamont's book yet, but I'll put it on the list.

Loved the Alchemis and Guernsey Literary....

Anonymous –   – (July 7, 2009 at 7:58 AM)  

try "the summer gardener" for a light read. Magic, romance and gardens all wrapped into one delightful quick read.

Maribeth  – (July 7, 2009 at 11:40 AM)  

Thanks for the suggestions. These were not familiar to me, so I am excited to check them out.

Angela  – (July 8, 2009 at 6:12 AM)  

Thanks for ht etips! I have been struggling though a lot of mediocre books as well, and wishing for something to draw me in! Birthday is coming up..I'm going book shopping!

RunninL8  – (July 9, 2009 at 12:16 PM)  

I'm in need of some good books! Thanks for the list!

Anonymous –   – (July 11, 2009 at 11:40 PM)  

I am always looking for a good read, and these books all look promising. I will definitely pick up the Physick Book of Deliverance Dane--sounds really captivating.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP