Treasure Boxes



Would you like to see what's inside my treasure boxes? I just put these history kits together for a 3rd grade local history class. I am introducing the children to the idea that artifacts and documents can tell us about how people lived in the past.




We've already been outside hunting for the first settlers of the town. This is where I was right before the May Fair last Friday. History on the landscape you might say.

Tomorrow we're going to do some research about those settlers and write some poems. First we'll open my treasure box of artifacts and think about what we need to live--food, clothing, shelter. So, we'll look at how they cooked their food....

....made their clothes...

....and lit their homes.

Then we'll think about how they organized their communities--building roads, schools, and churches. To do this we'll make some quill pens to take notes at a mock town meeting. What shall we do about the lack of roads? Who should build them? Who should pay for them?

Finally we'll look inside the second treasure box--full of town meeting records and other documents.

Magnifying lenses with little lights on them make doing history much more fun :)

It has been fun to put this little project together. I found the cheese box at a yard sale and the ideas just went from there. I actually have a few more artifacts in the box--a pair of shoes, sewing equipment, old nails, and a handmade spoon. I found them all at local junk shops.

dawn klinge  – (May 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM)  

That sounds like a fun class that you'll be teaching! I love the treasure box idea.

Crescent Moon  – (May 22, 2009 at 7:35 AM)  

What a great project! I love the box idea!

History and Archeology are very popular subjects around our home ( my husband is working on his PHD in Archeology). If you want to see pictures of the archeology work the college students are doing at Kingsley Plantation this year, I just posted a few pictures from their first week of summer school on my blog two days ago.
The field school has been rained out for the rest of this week, but I'll be posting more pictures in coming weeks.

Lisa Anne  – (May 22, 2009 at 8:37 PM)  

How fun, I bet the kids really like this. Thanks for sharing all you treasures.

Anonymous –   – (May 24, 2009 at 10:49 AM)  

Sarah, this is wonderful--if only I could have learned about history this way! Your surprise boxes will make the people and time period come alive for the students. You are creating a strong memory for these lucky 3rd graders.

Anonymous –   – (May 24, 2009 at 7:02 PM)  

Your boxes are a fantastic inspiration. I love looking at old cemeteries and wondering about the families, children who died so young from appendicitis or croup make me feel so blessed for my own little ones, and occasional amazing elders that defied the odds and survived into their nineties or more!
Is that a candle holder? it almost looks like a bunsen burner!
Fascinating! thanks for the glimpse

Anonymous –   – (June 5, 2009 at 3:44 PM)  

You have the funnest job!

I'm seriously planning on getting a master's degree in history...not sure what I'll do with it, but how fun it would be to bring history to life in this way.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP