The Birthday Board

It will be Lou's 10th birthday next week. Recently I asked my parents if they could send me a photograph and measurements for my Grandmother's birthday board. I had thought about making a copy as it holds wonderful memories for me. Instead, I inherited it!

This birthday board was made by my Great-Grandfather. The cake sits in the middle and there are 50 holes for candles! The best part is that his name is written on the back as having made it. Here is my little brother presenting my Grandfather with his birthday cake. There are candles in the cake and on the board in this photo.

We've had some fun thinking about what could go in some of those empty holes amidst the candles. In the spirit of "make do with what you have," we went through our cookie cutters and chose our favorites....Nels and Lou then cut them out in wood....

...and we glued them onto dowels. Nels chose the sailboat. Hels chose the star. Lou chose the little man.

Here's my chicken all painted and placed in the birthday board. I would eventually like to get our initials or numbers to put in the holes.

I think it is important to use family treasures and not let them sit on a shelf. If we want our children to treasure things that are passed down and have meaning to us, we must build new memories and traditions that are right for them.

Lou is very excited and honored to be the first member of "our" family to celebrate her birthday with "Great-Missy's Birthday Board." Sniff. I get all weepy just thinking about it!

sarah  – (February 10, 2009 at 7:13 PM)  

How wonderful! What a treasure, you are so lucky you can pass it on to your children.

Nova  – (February 10, 2009 at 7:52 PM)  

ohh that is lovely! and how fantastic that you are able to make your own personalised ones to add to it! :)

Anonymous –   – (February 10, 2009 at 10:23 PM)  

I'm truly envious that you have such a connection to your family history and that you have a birthday ring. What a delight!

Your "making do" is lovely.

Tammy  – (February 10, 2009 at 10:30 PM)  

Oh, this is so nice! What a blessing to have recieved the birthday board and you will be able to share it with your family now. So happy for you... ;)

Lisa Anne  – (February 10, 2009 at 10:51 PM)  

That is such a wonderful treasure to pass on in the family. You come from a long line of thoughtful, loving crafters! Happy Birthday!!

dawn klinge  – (February 10, 2009 at 11:57 PM)  

I hope Lou has a wonderful 10th birthday. What a special way to celebrate. The little wooden cutouts are a very sweet addition to the birthday board.

BB  – (February 11, 2009 at 12:06 AM)  

I love the birthday board, so simple and yet so special. I agree with you that traditions are important and what connect us to our personal history. Those are the things your girls will remember later on.

Anonymous –   – (February 11, 2009 at 12:30 AM)  

I've often thought those little Waldorf birthday rings are sweet, but I don't have a personal connection to that as a tradition. Now here you are with something very similar right in your own family history! How wonderful.

Sarah  – (February 11, 2009 at 6:36 AM)  

It reminded me of those Waldorf birthday rings too. I've wondered where he got the idea to make it.

Crescent Moon  – (February 11, 2009 at 7:07 AM)  

That's fantastic! 50 is a lot of candle holes.
I really like your wooden cut-outs. Making them yourselves was a great idea.

bigbucketgirl  – (February 11, 2009 at 9:05 AM)  

that is wonderful! such a simple thing...joining the generations. i love it.

Anonymous –   – (February 11, 2009 at 11:41 AM)  

This is so great. I LOVE the old family photo. I have often thought about buying one of these rings from a catalog, but always felt the price was too steep when you added in all the decorative pieces. Making it yourself, over the generations, is so much better. Enjoy, and happy birthday! (I also love that it has room for 50 candles - imagine the celebratory light!)

atelierlemlem  – (February 11, 2009 at 5:47 PM)  

Oh this is so beautifull. I think of making one too (or better said; ask my dad..) The wooden shapes are a great idea too, I LOVE IT! It wil remind you of all those lovely birthdays that you all celibrated together...and happy birthday to you all!

Adrienne  – (February 12, 2009 at 12:20 AM)  

What a beautiful idea,my husband may be making one of these very soon! :)

Mrs. Darling  – (February 12, 2009 at 1:11 AM)  

Oh families are so neat when these traditions are passed on. I love family heirloom things like this! What a great post!

Anonymous –   – (February 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM)  

This is just an incredible treasure! If I didn't already have a birthday/celebration ring, I'm sure I would be making a copy of yours IMMEDIATELY!
Hey - we have that same turkey (chicken?) cookie cutter - it's from my mom's childhood, so the 40's...maybe earlier?

Anonymous –   – (February 13, 2009 at 5:52 PM)  

What a wonderful board this is, and how wonderful you can continue this tradition with your children.

Enjoy this moment of true love.

I love the figures you made for it, maybe you can make one of your needlefelted dolls to put in.

Quiltin' Mama  – (February 15, 2009 at 2:37 PM)  

What a lovely tradition. Can't wait to see it as you create more for it. I agree that we must use things to ensure that they are indeed treasured. Enjoy the beginnings of your family birthday year!

Linda  – (February 16, 2009 at 12:29 AM)  

This is wonderful, I am going to make one for my family...

kristin  – (February 16, 2009 at 5:46 PM)  

so beautiful in so many ways. such a great tradition.

(happy birthday to Lou!!! xxx)

the little travelers  – (February 17, 2009 at 9:13 AM)  

I really love the old photo! This is such a great tradition to pass down and a great reminder that if we start it now our children's children will look back at the photos of them as kids and 'love that old photo.'

RunninL8  – (February 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM)  

How cool is that!?!?! I t IS wonderful to have to precious family treasures to use and pass on!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP