Loving my fabric stash

We had a great snow day on Wednesday. The girls were up early and ready to sew. In looking back at the day, it's fun to see how much we were able to create out of stuff we had stashed away--from fabric to flour.

I made some bags to hang in our bathroom for storing rags, plastic grocery bags, etc. I just happened to have enough fabric left that they were able to match the curtains.


Lou cranked out some big fluffy pillows for lounging on the floor of her room. She's barely gotten off of them.


She then decided that we needed something sweet so made chocolate cookies....except she put an extra CUP of confectioners sugar in by accident. WOW were they sweet! Each little kitchen mess-up is a lesson, isn't it?


Hels whipped up a new messenger bag out of the leftover dining room curtain material. Here she is modeling her bag next to the curtains. The bag is even lined and has a new pencil case to go with it.


I struggled for too long in trying to make a reversible/strong bag for our library books. I finally did it--it's made out of a huge curtain that I've been cutting up for years!

After the cookies were done, it was time to try out another new bread recipe. I made this boule. Lou made 2 baguettes. YUM. I'm continuing to love Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.
A hint--I don't have a baking stone so cooked it in my pre-headed le creuset casserole. It worked great.

To cap off the day, I finally made a set of curtains that I've been meaning to make for months--they are out of dishcloth material. I hung them on string because, well, it was a snow day and the theme was to use what we had around the house. I think they make our little reading nook in the kitchen look quite cozy.

There are hints of another snow day coming along next week....

Anonymous –   – (January 31, 2009 at 3:23 PM)  

Love the library bag and the dish towel curtains. I'm amazed by how much you all accomplished! I need to use more of my stash - that way I can justify the little purchases here and there that I just can't resist.

coffeemamma  – (January 31, 2009 at 3:47 PM)  

It sounds like a lovely day!

We don't use a baking stone, either- I line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and it works perfectly!

Tammy  – (January 31, 2009 at 8:18 PM)  

This is the second (maybe third?) time I've seen that particular bread on a blog this week. I am definitely going to have to give it a try.

You got so much done today, I am so impressed!

sarah  – (January 31, 2009 at 8:27 PM)  

You are such a creative family!

denise  – (January 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM)  

You got so much done! Love the fabrics.

We need a snow day. It has been so cold and no new snow. Everything is brown. I'm ready!

Anonymous –   – (February 1, 2009 at 8:30 AM)  

Super-productive and wonderful day! Snow days are the best! I must check out that book! But first there's a puppy I need to deal with...

dawn klinge  – (February 1, 2009 at 4:50 PM)  

I want to spend a snow day at your house! ;) That artisan bread book you've been using lately looks like something I need.

Anonymous –   – (February 1, 2009 at 10:52 PM)  

Lou sounds like a serious phlegmatic :-)

Lou  – (February 3, 2009 at 4:12 AM)  

Wow you certainly did have a busy day! You have taught your children well and so great that they all seem to really enjoy it and make things that suit themselves.

heather  – (February 7, 2009 at 10:31 PM)  

what a day! i've noticed at some of the houses at sturbridge village they hang the curtains by string... i rather like the idea. it all looks great!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP