Our Christmas Elf

Do you have a Christmas elf residing at your house? We do. He arrives in the night on December 1st and departs on Christmas Eve. He always sits in the exact same place, high on the bookcase in the living room.

This Christmas elf reports to Santa about how everybody is behaving and what their wishes for Christmas might be. If we leave a tiny little scroll with our most wished-for gift, it disappears in the night leaving a magical trail of glitter behind.

He arrived at our house on Sunday. That day Lou didn't want to practice her violin. Nels informed her that the Christmas elf had arrived and was watching. She immediately ran to check the bookshelf and then ran to get her violin. Worked like a charm :)


A little Christmas elf came to my house when I was a little girl as well. He sat on the shelf over the kitchen table. Christmas elfs are important members of the household at this time of year. They should never be touched and like to live up very high so they stay magical and mysterious.

Crescent Moon  – (December 4, 2008 at 8:25 AM)  

I had never heard of the "Elf on the shelf" tradition until this year, but now they seem to be everywhere. I read about the elf in a catalog a couple weeks ago and now the Hallmark store has a window display devoted to them.
I can definitely see the point of having one. I think that would work like a charm with my little boy. I wonder if it would work on moody teenagers too.

Sarah  – (December 4, 2008 at 8:58 AM)  

I had no idea that "Elf on the Shelf" was a commercial *thing*. It's just something I did as a kid and now do for my kids!

Cerwydwyn  – (December 4, 2008 at 8:59 AM)  

We have a Christmas Elf, though ours behaves a bit differently than yours. Ours moves around a lot. He's a bit mischievous and likes to hide in a different place each night. I never realized he was reporting back to Santa in the midst of all his antics! Gosh, what great news! Can't wait to tell the kids ;-)

Mrs. Darling  – (December 4, 2008 at 9:19 AM)  

We do indeed have a christmas elf high on a shelf. But just like Cerwydwyn I had no idea he was trottin' off to santa over everything the kids do. Hopefully this knowledge will help them share their things a little better.

Dawn  – (December 4, 2008 at 10:40 AM)  

I love that. It reminds me of the little red elf that my grandparents had on their Christmas tree and then my mother. I've been tempted to get one for ourselves - - -knowing your craftiness you all made yours. If you did, can you include instructions.

Lisa Anne  – (December 4, 2008 at 11:19 AM)  

That is fun! We have never had a Elf on a shelf, it is a cute idea.

Anonymous –   – (December 4, 2008 at 12:05 PM)  

this is a fabulous idea...i must get a christmas elf!

Anonymous –   – (December 4, 2008 at 1:34 PM)  

Oh, how cute! I have heard of the Elf on the Shelf thing, but never actually had it explained to me. Love your magical little guy!

sarah  – (December 4, 2008 at 2:18 PM)  

I love this idea! What a shame I didn't hear about it earlier, as I definitely would have done it.

Sarah  – (December 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM)  

It's never to late for an elf to visit your house!! We didn't make this elf. I got him years ago at a craft fair.

Anonymous –   – (December 5, 2008 at 11:33 AM)  

This is not a tradition for us, but I love it. It reminds me of a "tradition" that my 8-year-old daughter started for my 5-year-old son. She has convinced him that there is a good behavior fairy watching over him. This fairy is benevolent and leaves little beads or other treats under his pillow. My daughter conjures up this fairy when my son gets that mischievous gleam in his eye that means trouble.

Anonymous –   – (December 6, 2008 at 1:22 AM)  

We have a Julenisse at our house (I think he may have come to Australia in the pocket of our Norwegian grandfather). He loves to hide, play tricks and leave treats throughout December, and I'm sure he knows St Nick.
I love your christmas elf too!

* *  – (December 9, 2008 at 8:29 AM)  

How fun! I like this idea : )

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP