A day in my life

September 14 just passed, so it's time for a "day in my life" post. Yesterday was a quiet, organizing sort of day. Life has been crazy with school starting, Nels gone for a week on business, and then me gone for a week to a conference. It felt good to just be home.

I woke up around 6:30 and joined Nels downstairs for coffee and reading. I'm reading Reeve Lindbergh's new book Forward From Here. She is the daughter of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, author of Gifts from the Sea, and lives here in Vermont. I've worked with her husband a bit, so it's fun to read this.


The girls were up around 8:30 and Hels decided to get her homework finished early. I helped her with a report she is writing about explorer Jacques Cartier.

While Hels was writing her report, I stayed nearby and made a carrot soup. Our onions, carrots, and leeks were getting to the point where the only place they belonged was in a soup...

... no matter that it was 80 degrees and humid thanks to the remnants of Hurricane Ike. It's September and soup time!





We spent the morning putting up new curtains in the dining room. They are all measured and now I just need to hem and iron them. I'm hoping they will keep a little more chill out this winter.









Lunch was a satisfying feast of soup, cheese, bread, and apples. I love fall food.


We recently bought the girls larger bureaus so they can actually put away their clothes (is this hopeful thinking?). Today was the day to reorganize. Lou's bureau is now out in the hall full of sheets. AAH--now my sheets are sorted by size. If I can just match up all those socks now.



Hels bureau is now in the mudroom ready to receive hats and mittens. Yippee--we each have our own spot for winter gear. It's amazing how reorganizing one space leads to others....










My afternoon ended in contemplation of this mess....if only all the shoes had an organized home...










We had planned to have a roast chicken for dinner, but Hurricane Ike brought too much humidity to think about roasting, so we went out for pizza.

8:30 was bedtime and a long read of Louisa May Alcott's book, Little Men. We're really enjoying it, but it's taking a long time to finish.

That's our September Sunday. We're beginning the week in quite a nice order. The Virgo in me likes this very much :)

Tara  – (September 15, 2008 at 10:14 AM)  

I'm very envious of your mudroom. We basically walk into the kitchen and immediately begin tripping over a pile of shoes! I love soup too. I made onion soup on Saturday and had potato soup yesterday.

Lisa Anne  – (September 15, 2008 at 11:07 AM)  

We just put a new dresser in Amelia's room too, hoping that the pile of clothes will get smaller. I love having places for everything. Our problem is that our house is too big for the simple life we live, we feel like we are swimming in all this space and I refuse to fill it up.

Anonymous –   – (September 15, 2008 at 1:56 PM)  

Yup, I'm jealous of the mudroom too. I have no idea what we are going to do with all the winter stuff in a few months (scratch that--next month! Apparently it gets below freezing at night here in October.)

And my kids need a dresser too...there are piles everywhere. Their dresser was just too beat up and broken to move, and I absconded with the dresser we got for free from someone moving out of this apt. complex!

So all in all, your house will serve as inspiration to all of my inner Virgoness over the next few weeks :-)

dawn klinge  – (September 15, 2008 at 3:26 PM)  

I agree with you on loving fall foods. Your day sounds like a day I would enjoy very much...I love organizing.

Anonymous –   – (September 15, 2008 at 4:32 PM)  

I love starting the week nice and tidy and in order... although I am a Sagittarius and not a Virgo. It just makes it feel like the week will go better...

And I had to laugh at the shoes... same issue at our house...I have yet to figure out a good way to handle 3 boys, 5 people, and all the shoes.

Tia  – (September 16, 2008 at 2:29 AM)  

Happy sock sorting!

Definitely time for a September Soup, thanks for the reminder.

Tia

Tammy  – (September 16, 2008 at 11:10 AM)  

Spring is a time for cleaning, but Fall has always felt like a time for reorganizing and going through stuff to me.

And the soup sounds heavenly. We are still in the low 80's here, but doing soup anyway! :)

woolladyfelter  – (September 16, 2008 at 1:38 PM)  

I love to organize items and "put" them away - very nice - it looks like it will keep for a while.

I'm totally going to make soup for tonight! Out to the garden I go.

Anonymous –   – (September 16, 2008 at 3:50 PM)  

The new dresser is lovely, just the type of vintage I adore. It feels so nice to get things organized and have a place for things and know where they are! Thank you for sharing your day!

Dulce Domum  – (September 17, 2008 at 12:38 PM)  

I think your chest of drawers is very pretty and the soup looks yummy. I can't imagine having that much humidity in September, it's quite cool here!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP