A Something in a Summer's Day: 5

It isn't summer without a couple of good outdoor book sales. We found a huge one today and piled up books for our end of summer reading. We leave on Saturday for a vacation on an island in Maine--it's important to all of us to have something to read especially when it's foggy! There's no getting off the island in the fog.



We have our book sale strategy down pat. Put any book that might be interesting in a tote bag and sort later. Hels and Lou found quite a stack to sort.

We each found treasures.


Lou found an Enid Blyton book and a book of stories. She has also decided that she likes Ramona--hurray (I love Ramona).


Hels is really liking Robin McKinley's books these days. We both read The Outlaws of Sherwood Forest this year and loved it. I think she will like Sharon Creech as well.


I found about 5 novels to try as well as this book about garden lore.


Nels always goes for the building books. He has built a rowboat and a canoe so it wasn't any surprise that he got this book about building Maine canoes. We've also discussed keeping bees.


Hels wants to learn to play the penny whistle and also came away with these craft books.

I love book sales! Now to pick which ones to take out onto the island....

Anonymous –   – (August 2, 2008 at 8:17 PM)  

What treasures! We are definitely on a new-book ban for the next few weeks, since at this point we're in danger of running out of room in the moving van :)

dawn klinge  – (August 2, 2008 at 8:31 PM)  

How fun! You found some great books! Have fun in Maine.

Tammy  – (August 3, 2008 at 10:44 AM)  

What fun! I had to click on the photos to get a closer look at your books. :) I put Spindles End and The Outlaws of Sherwood on hold at my library for the girls. Thanks for the recommendations. :)

RunninL8  – (August 3, 2008 at 6:13 PM)  

Great finds!!!
Your trip to Maine sounds wonderful! I really love central maine and all the lakes.
Have a fun time!

Tara  – (August 3, 2008 at 8:43 PM)  

Oooo... Christmas in August! I've stopped stopping at sales because we are bursting with books, but Paperback Swap has me pretty addicted! I bet Tess would love The Outlaws of Sherwood, too. I may have to check that one out. Have a nice vacation.

Veronica  – (August 4, 2008 at 3:48 AM)  

ohhh wish I could have looked through that book sale.

Lisa Anne  – (August 4, 2008 at 11:01 AM)  

You can never have too many book! We have that same Penny whistle book that I scored at a book sale last summer. I guess learning the penny whistle was something people really didn't follow through with...

Have a good trip to Maine, we are going in two weeks, after Amelia's camp. I am really looking forward to seeing the ocean!

Jessica  – (August 4, 2008 at 6:13 PM)  

I can't go to outdoor book sales because I would come home with soooo many books and right now I've done that enough that I am seriously backlogged in the books I need to read. Can I mention that I just love children's lit, especially Beverly Cleary!!!

Mary Beth  – (August 5, 2008 at 7:11 AM)  

What a great book sale. I love the Ramona books too.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP