Gifts from the Sea

This year I spent quite a bit of time with my journal and Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea reflecting on the gifts this island has given each of us. One of those gifts was the gift of letting us live on the edge of our comfort-level, which was different for each of us, and finding that we could do it. Another of those gifts was "island time." We were given the gift of slowing down and truly being able to experience each moment of our days.


Lou's favorite island excursion was the sketching trip late in the afternoon on the last day of our stay. Our excursion led us to a little bridge that runs over the salt marsh.









We sat quietly on the bridge and just sketched and wrote poetry for about an hour. We were quiet, the crickets chirped, the waves in the distance thundered, and the water slowly trickled out of the salt marsh under our little bridge. Our senses were filled by the island as it gave us our last gifts.

It was a perfect way to say goodbye.

dawn klinge  – (August 22, 2008 at 9:50 AM)  

I've really been enjoying the photos of your time on the island; it looks like such a beautiful place. I have Gifts from the Sea on request at my library. I wanted to read it after seeing it mentioned in another book you recommended (Mitten Strings for God). I'm looking forward to reading it.

Angela  – (August 22, 2008 at 1:45 PM)  

A classic favorite...and so perfect for time spent on your island. Lou certainly has great taste.,..what a lovel yway to pass the time!

Yarrow  – (August 22, 2008 at 2:28 PM)  

beautiful. glad you all had such a lovely time. I've enjoyed the photos and the little glimpse of your time on the island. Blessings.

Tammy  – (August 23, 2008 at 10:29 AM)  

"The gift of slowing down" sounds like it was the best gift of all. It really looks like you and your family had a lovely time.

RunninL8  – (August 25, 2008 at 2:08 AM)  

Wow, I actually feel sad! Your words have just sprung to life , making your beautiful visit so tangible. My wanderlust is getting the best of me-I just want to jump in the car and GO somewhere NEW.

denise  – (August 25, 2008 at 10:20 AM)  

My bookclub read Gifts from the Sea last year. Nice book. I love seeing all of your photos. Makes me crave a real vacation far away from busy-ness. Lovely!

Jessica  – (August 26, 2008 at 7:05 AM)  

Your trip looks like it was so wonderful. Your photos made me feel like I was on vacation with you (and a vacation on an island just like that is my absolute favorite!).

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP