Surgery and More Surgeries

Lou's surgery was a success. My parents and a friend sat with us all day as we waited for news. The cyst was removed and she was placed in intensive care. She had an epidural, chest tube, catheter, heart moniter, oxygen, O2 sensor, and IV. She was one petrified little girl, but calmly told us exactly where on her dolly it hurt.

As we sat in ICU with all the wires and alarms, balloon after balloon arrived--65 balloons in all from the internet group of women I belonged to. It was as if each balloon floated by with a prayer inside from women all over the world. The hospital florist was amazed.

After surgery she was hooked up to suction on the wall via a chest tube to keep her lung inflated. We were assured that we'd be home in just a few days with things as good as new...

...4 days later we finally left ICU only to be moved upstairs as we continued to wait for her lung to remain inflated. Every time she was removed from suction, her lung would collapse. Finally, after 2 weeks, her lung remained inflated and we went home.

We spent the next couple of days being quiet. As we snuggled, it became clear that she was breathing too quickly again. We dropped H off with friends and went to the emergency room where we found that her lung had collapsed and her heart had shifted again. She had emergency surgery with another chest tube inserted and we were back to our friends in the Ped ward. After another week of waiting to see if her lung would heal, it was decided that she had to have another major surgery.

Again, my Mother and our dear friends sat with us all day through a longer, and actually more dangerous surgery as they tried and tried to fix the air leaks. They sutured--air leak. They applied bioglue--air leak. They stapled. They closed--air leak. They re-opened AGAIN. Consulting surgeons arrived. They bioglued again. And finally closed. We were frantic as hours and hours passed with no word. We went through the same drill with suction and tubes before going home after 3 days.

Through it all, Lou kept a good spirit and her good two-year old spunk. Being attached to the wall for days on end required lots of entertainment!

It had all begun February 7th and we left the hospital March 26th. And then...on March 28th we were back in the ER having another emergency surgery to insert another chest tube.

Tara  – (February 12, 2008 at 8:34 AM)  

What a time this must have been. It sounds as if you had wonderful support from family and friends. Reading this knowing there was a happy ending makes it a little easier.

Henitsirk  – (February 12, 2008 at 8:54 AM)  

I can't imagine being a 2-year-old confined to a bed for so long...or imagine being the parent of one. Lou is really a trouper.

It sounds like you had lots of support during that time. That was crucial for us during our son's birth. I'll never forget waking up in my hospital bed after recovery from my emergency c-section and seeing a good friend sitting there, and both of my parents flying across the country the next day to be with us.

Dawn  – (February 12, 2008 at 10:19 AM)  

That must have taken so much courage during that time. It's good to hear that you had the love and support of many people.

Anonymous –   – (February 12, 2008 at 2:31 PM)  

Wow. What a trial. I am so sorry you and your lovely dd had to go through this. I did it once and can't imagine having to go through it over and over again. How blessed you were in the support of friends!!! That is one thing I missed - all my "friends" disappeared when they heard Rose was going into hospital. So sad. I can imagine how your heart must have lifted and been held by so much love and concern.

I hope Lou continues to be healthy and thank you so much for sharing her story.

Patience :-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by 2009

Back to TOP