A Day of Art

Yesterday, while I was meeting with folks at the National Archives, N and the girls explored the National Gallery. It was fun to see works of art that we've seen in books. Both girls actually liked the modern art the best. I got there in time to see a beautiful exhibit of late nineteenth-century paintings. We sat for a long time in the Gallery Cafe relaxing and people watching.

We then went to the National Building Museum which had an exhibit of David Macaulay's sketchbooks. There were sketching stations throughout the exhibit so the girls tried their hand at a perspective drawing. It was fun because we've actually had dinner with David Macaulay and have recently spent a lot of time with his book and video about Rome. While the exhibit was fun, we were pretty disappointed with the National Building Museum. There were very limited exhibits. Lou said "I wanted to learn how to build an igloo or something!" She had been particularly excited about visiting because they are now in their "How People Live" block at school where they study different homes from around the world.

We finished our day at National Geographic's Explorer's Hall where we saw an exhibit about frogs. We trudged back to our hotel to meet our friends for swimming and dinner. PHEW!

dawn klinge  – (February 23, 2008 at 11:59 AM)  

It sounds like there is so much to do in D.C. My husband and I want to take our kids there when my our youngest is old enough to get a lot our of the trip. I can't wait!

Lisa Anne  – (February 23, 2008 at 12:10 PM)  

Thanks for the link to David McCauley's site, all of his books look fun, I will look for them at the Library, esp. "Rome Antics". I hope we make it down to D.C. one day, its on my list, along with Williamsburg, Philadelphia, Monticello,.....I love to visit historical places.

Jennifer  – (February 23, 2008 at 12:32 PM)  

So sorry that the National Building Museum was a disappointment... it is my husband's favorite museum (our first visit was for an inaugural ball party we crashed), but it is limited if you don't live close and go regularly for their rotating exhibits.
We love the national gallery and the modern wing...

Lisa  – (February 23, 2008 at 2:58 PM)  

Sounds like you're all having a really busy time! Lisa (UK)

Anonymous –   – (February 23, 2008 at 3:24 PM)  

I'm glad to hear they had such an engaging thing as sketching stations. Last time we went to the Getty museum in L.A., they had just opened a sketching room in one building, and my kids loved it.

Isn't DC amazingly full of stuff to do and see? We haven't been to the Smithsonian yet, because I would want at least a week just for that!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP