Deep Winter Decorating

Just the other day, as I was putting away some fabric scraps, I came across these remnants from last year's valentine crafting. It reminded me of how important it is for me to have the decorations in my home during the deep winter month of January reflect the world around us. Partly this is because I like to bring the outdoors in, but also because I like the wonderful contrast it provides to Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day seems all the more cheerful and bright after a month of deep winter decorations.

This month, the woodpeckers have discovered our bird feeders. We have a big hairy woodpecker enjoying the suet. He's so big he's had trouble getting at the suet without dangling upside down. The nuthatches don't seem to come around when he is eating.









This little downy woodpecker doesn't scare off the smaller birds.











Inside the deep blue candles, birch bark candle holders, and chickadees on the table remind us all that while it's white, dark, and cold outside, the woods are still alive with color and sound.






dawn klinge  – (January 20, 2008 at 4:19 PM)  

I love your winter decorations. i always have a hard time holding back on Valentine decor because I crave color in the winter. The bird photos are beautiful.

Tara  – (January 20, 2008 at 5:52 PM)  

Oh, the little carved birds are so sweet! We have some similar for our Christmas tree and I'm hoping to craft some more when I learn to needle felt. Not sure how long they'll last with the cat lurking about though...

Maymomvt  – (January 20, 2008 at 6:02 PM)  

These birds used to be Christmas decorations, but I removed the little hangers :) I'm thinking about a needle felting project as well...

Sue  – (January 20, 2008 at 10:26 PM)  

Oh, I need a little color in my life at this time of year, too! I love the photos of the woodpeckers...and the bird decorations, too.

Today, I went around our neighborhood with my daughter as she sold girl scout cookies. It was sooo cold today, and several people invited us in. One of our neighbors has a couple of bright parakeets, and I couldn't take my eyes off of them. How nice, I thought, it must be to have birds in the house in January.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP