Among Strangers in a Strange Land


I have once more resumed my pen, though far away among strangers in a strange land, to let you know that I am well and have not forgotten you, Sarah Town, 1846.

I am off to the West for a week tracing the paths of Vermonters as they made their ways across the country in search of gold, adventure, or new homes. I must have one of the best jobs ever for a historian--I provide professional development to American History teachers leading book discussion groups, workshops, and summer institutes. This year has been all about Westward Expansion. My trip west is with 30 teachers to Montana. We'll first visit with elders of the Crow Nation including Alma Snell, grandaughter of Pretty-Shield. We'll then travel to Nevada City, MT, to experience pioneer life--we'll pan for gold, cook outdoors, and do a little construction.

In preparation for the trip, we made beautiful journals with book artist Susan Bonthron. Journaling on these trips is something I require as it forces everyone to slow down and connect with the surroundings in a deeper way. Our journals are designed after the journals some Vermonters kept as they traveled.

It's going to be fun, exhausting, and exhilarating.

Sue  – (June 25, 2007 at 9:38 AM)  

Wow! Wow! Wow! I want to come! It is obvious that you love what you do--your work sounds both interesting and fun, too. Your group is very fortunate to have such an enthusiastic guide.

Enjoy your "business" trip!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP