Summer Reading

I really miss the summers when I spent lazy afternoons and evenings reading to the girls, but our love of summer reading continues to grow in new ways.

When the girls were about 7 and 9, we read the entire "Betsy" series by Carolyn Haywood.  


We had a Louisa May Alcott fest and I read Little Women, Little Men, and Jack and Jill to them.
(Little Men was the favorite)


 One summer we dove into The Phoenix and the Carpet and the other E. Nesbit books.


The girls aren't interested in group read alouds anymore, but we have found it fun to be reading the same book or a group of books on the same topic. Last summer we had an interesting synchronization where Helen was reading The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck, Liz had dug into Anne Frank's Diary, and I was reading Madeleine Albright's memoir.  We had some great discussions.

Liz was assigned The Lord of the Rings trilogy last summer as a school project and Nelson and Helen joined in on that reading as well.

Right now we're all fighting over The Great Gatsby which I think will get read by the weekend :) 


The girls have been talking about having a "Jazzy" summer with more books from the era. When I went online to see what was written in the 1920s, I was astounded. What a prolific decade.  And what to choose?  

willowcaroline  – (June 20, 2013 at 3:09 PM)  

Ahhh - some of my favorite summer reading is from that era - LMMontgomery, EF Benson, Christie, Wodehouse, and Dorothy Sayers are always on my summer list - and bring me great joy each time I read through their series.

Nan  – (June 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM)  

Much of my favorite writing was during that time period.
I miss reading to my kids too, but it is sweet when my grown-up children remember books from their childhoods.

Donna  – (July 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM)  

My 16 yo daughter is on a trip with her orchestra right now - they will be visiting Austria, Switzerland, and end in Venice, Italy. In her backpack for the plane trips and bus rides she packed "Betsy and the Great World". She's read it before but it just seemed right. Thank you for giving these glimpses into your life in Vermont and at a Waldorf school - always makes me smile!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Tutorial: needle-felted figures

tutorial: Balloon Lanterns

tutorial: neede-felted advent spiral

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP